Turkey Pot Pie Casserole
Write a review
- 2 sheets puff pastry sheets thawed
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 stalks of celery small dice
- 2 large carrots peeled and cubed
- 1 large Russet potato peeled and cubed
- 1/3 cup flour
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp ground sage
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- 3 cups cubed leftover turkey meat
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley chopped
- Heat oven to 400°F. Grease the inside of a 9x9” casserole dish. On a lightly floured surface, roll the pastry sheet into a 12-inch square. Gently press the pastry dough in and up sides of dish. Trim the excess pastry. Using a fork, prick the pastry thoroughly. Place a sheet of aluminum foil onto the surface of the pastry and cover sides so they don’t over cook and burn. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove the aluminum foil.
- Heat butter in a large skillet over medium heat and add the onions , celery, carrots and potatoes and sauté for 5 minutes or until the vegetables are tender-crisp and slightly browned. Sprinkle the flour over all, stir and cook for another 4 minutes. Slowly stir in the broth and wine and cook until the mixture boils and thickens.
- Stir in the mustard, thyme, sage, white pepper, cubed turkey, frozen peas and parsley.
- Spoon the chicken vegetable mixture into the casserole dish with the baked crust. Top with other puff pastry sheet or strips (See Additional Note) Place the casserole onto a baking sheet and bake for 30-35 minutes or until the filling is hot and bubbling and the pastry is golden brown.
Additional Note for Lattice Crust
- On a lightly floured surface, cut the other pastry sheet crosswise into 4 strips and halve each one for 8 total. Weave a lattice pattern over the filling with the pastry strips. Trim any excess pastry. Brush top with egg wash.
Verve Magazine https://vervesouth.com/